Tuesday, March 07, 2006

10 Weeks and Life to Go


Nothing too scandalous to talk about today, so I'm just going to post the thoughts that have been occupying my mind the past few days.

Unbelievable as it is, the countdown is really beginning to get serious. 10 weeks from now, I will be in another state, studying for the bar. I've decided to take the evening review class which will be 6-10PM. I know that's kind of a bummer, but I found some compelling reasons to choose that time. First of all, the other choice was 9AM-1PM. I'm generally not all that great at studying at 9AM. I don't retain information all that well. Also, I could really use the time during the day for studying, surfing, and knocking on doors. I'm still looking for a job, but remaining optimistic. I won't receive word on the bar until November of this year, so I probably couldn't start until then anyway. I really don't want to work while I'm studying for the bar. I don't think the time investment is worth the money I could make. Nonetheless, it's going to be an expensive process. The bar review will cost me $3000, and the bar application will cost me at least $1000. Throw in my monthly expenses from June-November (6 months) and I'm looking at another $6000. Add it up, $10,000. But I think the investment is going to be well worth it. I'm risking $10,000 of loaned money to live and work in the place I want to be. Since I've only got one life, I don't see any other choice.

. . .

I had a very interesting chat with the Los Angeles Court Spokeswoman last night. I'm working on a project involving media access. I'm looking at issues such as cameras in the courtroom, gag orders and sealed documents. Specifically, I'll be looking at the Westerfield trial in San Diego. It looks to be a very interesting project and I'm looking forward to getting it done. I'm hoping that with the help of my professor, I can get it published. I'd love to have that on my resume and it would be a satisfying personal achievement as well.

Well, that's what has been on my mind, with the exception of the extremely vivid dreams I've been having lately. It's funny; I tend to rotate from periods of not dreaming or not remembering my dreams to having extremely detailed and memorable ones. Sometimes I wish I had a better understanding of psychology so I could understand what’s going on upstairs.

1 comment:

Brad Raple said...

I'm definitely ready to get out of school as well. It will be good to get moving on the next portion of my life. The next step is a big one.