Sunday, October 02, 2005

The Unexpected: Expect it

I love sports. I really love football. Occasionally for unexpected reasons.

When I explain to people why I love football, I tend to talk about how it is a microcosm of life. It shows us that seemingly impossible things do happen.

But there's another part of sports that I don't talk about as often. The fact that occasionally you get to see something take place that has never happened before. Remember when the Yankees blew the 3-0 series lead to the Red Sox last year? That had never happened in the MLB before. Today I believe I saw something that has never happened in the history of the world.

Kansas State was playing Oklahoma. KSU has the ball. It's 4th down and they have to punt from their own 10 yard line. They line up, the center snaps the ball, a nice spiral snap...except one problem...NO PUNTER. That's right...there wasn't a punter in the game. The ball went out of the back of the end zone for a safety...a very strange safety. In fact, I suspect that in the history of the world and the sport of football, there has never been a play like that before. There probably never will be again.

At least we can hope.

1 comment:

Brad Raple said...

There's a way you can set it up so that you don't get these spam comments. I'll show you later.