Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Did you ever notice how annoying old people are?




Don't get me wrong. Lots of elderly people are very wise and interesting. But then there's Andy Rooney. Somehow this guy has continued to hold a job as a pseudo-CBS journalist. I can't think of anything much less interesting than listening to a grumpy old man complain about progress. I have a hard time understanding why people expect that things will stay the same. Sure, sometimes progress isn't all that its cracked up to be. But what is the alternative? Doing nothing? Being satisfied and just leaving it alone? I'll tell you what Rooney: you claim to be a true American, but I can't think of a less American view on progress.

A few of my favorite Rooney quotes:

“Computers may save time but they sure waste a lot of paper. About 98 percent of everything printed out by a computer is garbage that no one ever reads.”

"Did you know that it costs $40,000 a year to house each prisoner? Jeez, for $40,000 apiece I'll take a few prisoners into my house. I live in Los Angeles -- I already have bars on the windows. I don't think we should give free room and board to criminals. I think they should have to run 12 hours a day on a treadmill and generate electricity. And if they don't want to run, they can rest in the chair that's hooked up to the generator."

1 comment:

Brad Raple said...

Just for your post....

"It should be illegal to redesign anything less than five years after it was invented."

-Andy "Luddite" Rooney