Monday, May 16, 2005

Gender in Advertising

I was watching a commercial about a "cookbook for men" on tv this morning, and it inspried this post:

I am becoming more and more convinced the more I think about it, that men and women are by nature actually much less different than most people think. I think that the majority of our differences are socialized differences. Watching the woman on the commercial say "I even got my husband to read this. I mean, guys don't read cookbooks, but even a man like my husband loved this book." I was thinking, should this really be that shocking? Are men and women supposed to have traits that are so predictable that it seems amazing that a man would read a cookbook?

2 comments:

Brad Raple said...

Cookbooks are for wusses. The only thing that I ever cook is red meat that I got from a large animal that I killed myself with either my bare hands, a homemade spear, or a semi-automatic rifle with a banana clip. I then roast it over charcoal soaked in gasoline that is lit from a Cuban cigar while clenched between my teeth. While it's cooking, I make sure to leer and make rude comments to any women that pass by.

Anonymous said...

Jason,

I responded to this on my own blog simply because I didn't have much material on it so far. I'll try to make a more worthy comment soon.

Do you think you could talk Brad into sharing some of that gasoline-soaked meat he's preparing? There's nothing like the taste of a 91 octane steak.